Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's August?!

Muffins are in the oven, bread machine is humming away and my coffee is drip, drip, dripping into the carafe as we speak. It is barely 6am. Already, I can hear the boys moving around upstairs and I know any minute they are going to come barreling downstairs wanting to watch their TV time. I'm not sure waking up at 5:30 is early enough. I haven't even watered the garden yet.
Husband leaves today for a business trip. He will be gone until Sunday. I am very tempted to go to the grocery store, buy a GIANT box of chicken nuggets and take a vacation from my baking/cooking responsibilities. I'm pretty sure I would end up guilting myself out of it though. We shall see. We have to go to the grocery store today as supplies are reaching a dangerous low.
So I have been working on letting go of the need to always have a clean and tidy house. I knew that between the garden, cooking things from scratch, taking care of the boys, etc that something was going to have to give. My house is clean but for some reason if my house looks "lived in" my anxiety level starts to rise. My kitchen right now almost gives me a panic attack every time I go into it. Which is often. My kitchen is small... Really small. Between all of my cooking projects, dishes drying on the counter, leftover kid snacks it looks like a bomb went off. And if I do take the time to do a big clean it only lasts for 20 minutes (if I am lucky). Just let it go, amelia, let it go....
I worked yesterday with the boys on their goals for the month. Each month the boys (with help) identify three thing they want to work on. Each week, depending on how well they did get a reward. If they meet one of their goals they are gold, meet two of their goals they are silver, meet all their goals they are platinum. So potentially they can get a reward every Sunday for doing a good job during the week.
Bean's goals
1. No tantrums
2. Follow directions the first time
3. Be a good friend/brother

Screech's goals
1. Take responsibility for choices
2. Focus on self (no parenting others)
3. No tantrums

Rewards
Gold: 30 minutes extra tv/game time
Silver: playtime at park with daddy
Platinum: movie at theatre OR pick out new hot wheels car at store

3 comments:

  1. You are such a great mommy, and a big inspiration to me. :) I love yooooouuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your mom-self and I think that we should all do goals. For example, Sarah's goals:
    1) Don't have a panic attack about being unemployed/pregnant/moving out of state.
    2) Practice my birthing breathing exercises 1X/day + do 50 kegels/day.
    3) No hormonal outbursts.

    My reward will be...maybe surprise my friend Amelia by showing up on her doorstep at 5:30 with donuts? ;)

    I agree with your friend Allie, you are such a great mom and you inspire us all. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you are welcome to come over at anytime, if you come with doughnuts :)
    Allie, :) You make my heart happy. Thank you for your unconditional love and support (same goes for you, Sarah!)

    ReplyDelete