Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Shaped Pumpkin Spice Cake

    I saw a pretty crazy pin on pinterest the other day and I knew, just knew, I must recreate it. The pin looked a little something like this:

   I found a yummy looking pumpkin spice bundt cake recipe (you can't make a pumpkin shaped cake any other flavor. That would be a mind trip). After baking the cake, I promptly lost it. It was good though but sad day for you becauese I can't share it. Sad face (brighten up, buttercup! I will share the frosting recipe which was INTENSE).
   Ok, so make two bundt cakes (you will need to double your bundt cake recipe). I saved a little to make a muffin for a "stem"
My "stem" waiting to bake
Once it is cool, trim the bottom of the bundt cakes so that they will lay flat on each other and now on to the frosting! 
Incredibly Awesome and Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
-1/2 cup butter at room temperature 
-8 oz cream cheese, softened 
-2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
1. Cream butter and cream cheese together
2. Add vanilla. Add powered sugar slowly. Keep adding until you reach your desired consistency  

   Simple, easy, yummy! I only made one batch. There was complaints that it was not frosty enough so if your gang likes frosting, double it. I scooped a little frosting out of the bowl before adding the orange food coloring. I colored the other frosting green for the stem. 

Boys with our pumpkin before frosting

Once the frosting is ready, "glue" the bundt cakes together (put a little frosting on the bottom, flat part, of the bundt cake and then place the other bottom on top of the frosting so you make a round pumpkin shape). After that, spread that orange yummy-ness all over your cake. When the cake resembles a medium size pumpkin with a generous layer of frosting, frost your stem. Place stem on top of bundt cake (my recommendation would be to use a big size muffin pan instead of regular. My poor little stem kept wanting to fall into the bundt cake hole. I kept it in place with a bamboo skewer. Clever, huh?)
Here it is. Our finished product. It is no where near as beautiful as the pinterest one. The boys were over the moon with it. 
Damn, writing this has made me really want the last piece that is in the kitchen...I am not sure I can resist. I give in! Cake time!














1 comment: