Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bloom where you've been planted

Life has been busy recently. Lots of meetings, camps, cleaning, you know. We also had a round of sickness too. It appears everyone is healthy (fingers crossed it stays that way) and things have slowed down.
I was having problems with my pumpkins AGAIN. WTF?!? This time they had this strange white, powdery residue on the leaves. After convincing myself that they were diseased and I was going to have to rip them all up, I did a quick google search and it seems that it is just a fungus which could be remedied with spray (ew, no thanks. I like things chemical free and well, free) so I opted to take off the infected leaves and water less often. Which is hard for me, the watering part. Watering the plants is one of my favorite times of day. It is the one time in the day I can admire my plants without the kids and husband thinking I am strange and obsessed with my plants. I am also going to try a water/milk mixture (one half water and one half milk). I have read that if you spray this mixture onto the affected areas during the day it will help fight off the fungus. The kids and I did this after lunch and I'm pretty sure they thought I lost my marbles when I asked them to spray the plants with milk.Hopefully, laying off the watering and hosing my somewhat naked pumpkin plants with milk with help.
My tomatoes are starting to turn red. I love being able to pluck a tomato off the plant, warm from the sun and just popping it into my mouth. Homegrown tomatoes (really homegrown anything) tastes so much better than store bought. My goal for next year is to grow a crap ton of tomatoes so that I can can them all and not need to buy any canned tomato products. One day (oh yes, it will happen!) all my canned, frozen, dried, etc products will come from my own backyard. I really want to have a go and growing wheat. I need my farm!
I started a new crafting project (actually it is two). I am making a farm quilt for Monster for his birthday (he is having a farm themed party) and another quilt with the boy's baby clothes. My plan is to do the baby clothes quilt all by hand :0 I think I am overly ambitious...

1 comment:

  1. That's totally illegal, you know. ;)

    The farm quilt is awesome. I've always wanted to quilt. Someday!

    ReplyDelete