Monday, July 19, 2010

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

This is one of the books that DONA requires you to read before taking the doula workshop. I have read multiple books on pregnancy, labor, and birth but NONE have been as eye opening as this book. I feel like every pregnant woman should read this book because it will open her eyes to the truth about childbirth. Childbirth isn't scary, it isn't medical, and it doesn't have to be painful (and one doesn't need medicine to make it painless). Women are told over and over again horrible and scary stories about childbirth and we go into labor and birth with so much fear. Women need to erase any fear they have of childbirth and labor. When one does that, their bodies are able to do what they are supposed to do-birth a baby with little intervention and no need for medication. It might even be enjoyable and fun (there are pictures in this book of babies crowing and the mother's are smiling, laughing. It's beautiful) Birth became scary when it moved into hospitals. Unnecessary procedures started to take place, not just for the sake of the mother or baby, but for the doctor.
I wish I could go back in time and read this book before having my babies. I had both my babies in the hospital and was not able to have the birth I wanted (or my babies deserved) because of this. While laboring at home with Monster, the contractions (or surges/rushes) were tolerable. I was able to let my body find the position it needed to be in. Once we got to the hospital, I was strapped to a bed, monitors all over me, and an IV put in me for fluids (mind you, I was drinking normally and no where near dehydrated. Just wasted medical intervention). It was at this point where labor became more painful. Birth became medical, doctor's needs where put before mine. I couldn't be in the position my body needed to be in because they needed the monitors (baby was fine and not in distress-monitors were not needed). I still get so angry thinking about this. I should, however, point out that I was not intending to labor and birth at this hospital. My wonderful midwives were at another hospital but Monster decided to come when that hospital was full and I got diverted to another one.
This book is getting me even more excited to be on this journey to becoming a doula, and eventually a midwife. I cannot wait to start helping women experience the birth they want.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been a fan of western medicine, hospitals or doctors. I have a naturopath I see and the only reason I'd go to a hospital is if I broke a bone. I think the entire medical profession, (whether it's the way it deals with pregnancy, disease or general health) is not concerned with individual needs of the patient, but with their own pockets. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and instead of putting me on drugs (like western doctors would have) I was able to reverse my diagnosis by eating differently--which is free by the way and worked within a few weeks.

    I wanted to ask you what your opinion on vaccines is. I personally believe that babies shouldn't be vaccinated for STD's and random shit that we haven't had in America for generations... especially if these vaccines have the capability of damaging your child's brain. I mean, they have mercury in them, the most toxic poison on the Earth, yet we pump in DOZENS of vaccines into our newborns. What do you think, mamma?

    ReplyDelete