Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring

What the hell? Rain in July? And not a summer sprinkle rain, mind you. Full on autumn rain. The last two days, I have woken up excited, like it is Christmas morning, to go check the progress of my garden and to water it. Well, when it's raining, there is no need to go out and water. Yes, I could just go out and check their progress but it is not the same. It's passive. I enjoy getting my hands dirty first thing. (Also, it's the one time during the day I have an excuse to admire my garden without being creepy. Seriously, I check in it like 5 times a day. I have issues.)
So something funky is going down with my pumpkins. The little green pumpkin is starting to rot before the giant beautiful flower falls off :/ I spent all afternoon yesterday obsessing and researching this. It could be lack of pollination ( possible but I see bees over by them all the time but it's possible they are more interested in the clover taking over the grass), the weather, over crowding ( I did pack them close), and natural selection (my pumpkins could be killing off the weaker ones to make room for an epically awesome pumpkin). I need to investigate the problem further to pinpoint the exact problem. Yep, I just gave myself permission to stalk my garden even more. Oh snap!
Life on the home front is still going strong. About three weeks ago we became a family of five. We added an 8 year old boy to our crew. Let's call him screech. Screech was living in a home in Washington that was going to adopt him but then changed their minds when they realized kids in the system have issues. Way to f-up this kid even more, Washington family. I'm a little bitter about this situation. Too often people easily give up on kids, making their issues worse. Grrr...
Anyway, homemade waffles and fresh strawberry syrup are calling my name. I promise to come back soon. If you are lucky, I might stop by tomorrow morning. I'll bring the coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me so happy. :) This happens sometimes with our squash too, and usually it's just what you said - the plant is making way for a stronger more awesome squash. It is kinda scary to see happen though, so I totally understand your obsessiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not alone in my creepy stalker gardening habits. Those plants are our babies! We start them from seeds, love them, care from them and it's hard to watch them not do well :/

    ReplyDelete