Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Little Tent in the Big Woods

Written September 2nd, 2012
 I'm having a Caroline Ingalls moment. We are camping this weekend. I am sitting by our campfire slowly, and awkwardly, writing this on my iPhone.  Ok, so maybe not a total Ingalls moment but I am feeling pretty old school right about now.
I do not have much camp experience. Growing up, my family's camping would be staying at the motel 6. Of course I would marry into an outdoorsy family. Husband and I have been together almost 13 years and I have only agreed to camp with him three times. Three times. I shake my head in wifely shame. I have always had, what I thought as very good and logical reasons to not camp: it's too cold, we don't have the right equipment, the kids are too young, I can't poop in the woods, or pee in the woods for that matter. 
My reasons finally fell on deaf words and the husband loaded up myself and the three kids and took us to the woods (which thankfully has a potty. Thank you, Jesus!). 
In the last 24 hours I have pitched a tent, cooked on a propane stove and a campfire, slept outside (shocked face!). Ok technically in a tent but it was still freaking cold, and wrangled three pretty well behaved wild beasts. 
All in all I am thankful to husband for finally taking control of the situation and getting me out here. I am thoroughly enjoying myself and getting out of my comfort level. The last month or so has been hard in our family. Number three has been struggling on an almost daily basis. It is good to break out of routine, take a break, refocus every once in a while to remember what is really important (like potty's and family). 

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you! I love camping and have a fantasy that someday we can go together. Camping with a 9 month-old sounds miserable, however.

    Potties are good.

    ReplyDelete