Thursday, September 20, 2012

We are a crunchy, chunky, granola family

     I haven't been to the grocery store for a few weeks. The thought of going to the grocery store sends waves of panic down my spine. Don't get me wrong, I like grocery shopping when it is an individual event, not a group effort. Yesterday, I noticed that our snack supply is getting dangerously low. It is never ok to run out of snack in our house and I find the more selection you have, the happier the young monsters are. A quick scan of our almost bare cupboards let me know we could throw together some granola. 
   I did a google search for granola and found this one that seemed promising: http://franticallysimple.com/2011/08/how-to-make-healthy-and-clumpy-granola/ 
It claimed to be clumpy which makes for easier snacking. We also had basically all the ingredients. After a few tweaks, this was what my recipe looked like.

   Ingredients
-4 cups rolled oats
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 1/2-2 cups trail mix, random nuts, and sad and lonely little left over bits of dried fruit that had been forgotten to be eaten (sorry golden raisins)
-5 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
-1/2 cup honey
-2 egg whites, lighten beaten

Directions
-Preheat oven to 300
-Mix dry ingredients 
-Whisk wet ingredients in separate bowl
-Pour wet into dry and get dry nice and wet (I have a way with words, don't I?)
-Properly lube two cookie sheets and spread granola evenly between them, press it flat into a donut shape (apparently this prevents an uncooked middle)
-Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you start to get a little anxious that it is getting a wee bit too brown around the edges
-Do not stir while baking. Let cook for 15 minutes before breaking into clusters
-Eat

Easy and Yummy! I took a few pictures of our granola making adventure for you to enjoy. While I have a big fancy camera that takes amazing pictures, I always seem to forget to use it and instead use my phone. I think it gives my pictures a nice charming effect, right? (This is where you smile and nod, ok? Good job!)


Boys mixing up the granola

the dry got all wet
Granola donut

Monster having a granola and green tea snack time

P.S This blog post was a part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways which can be found here http://frugallysustainable.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment