Sunday, September 9, 2012

Not Back to School

Written September 8th, 2012
This week marked the beginning of school for the majority of school going kids in Oregon. A lot of my friend's were getting ready to send their kids of to kindergarten. Facebook was littered with first day pictures and sad status update about babies growing up.
   This week for us marked the beginning of not back to school. Our schedule didn't change, we are not waking up freakishly early, going on field trip ( we did the zoo this week) got a lot easier, and the best part about it (for me at least) is I am not sending my child off to be told how to learn. We can keep on learning the things my boys are interested in and in a manner that works best for them.
   The other day, number 1 asked me what the inside of rocks looked like and would they all look the same. This sparked a conversation about different types of rocks. I explained that rocks are similar to animals in the sense that there are different species but all still in the animal family. There are tons of rock species within the rock family. Number 1 decided that once we wrap up th middle ages, rocks are next on the list. I am throwing in volcanoes too. Cause volcanoes are rad
   Another reason I am thankful that we did not have to start school this week was come Friday at noon, we hit the road for another camping adventure (our campsite is across from the potty, thank goodness. Though this potty is a lot scarier than one from last week. All potties are not created equal). We decided to try our luck at Timothy lake but everyone else thought that was a good idea too.
   So we headed to clakamas lake, which isn't really a lake but a beautifully clear, spring fed pond in the middle of a meadow. I'm pretty sure this meadow was where Bambi's mom got shot. It is gorgeous.
  This campground also allows horses so we have been able to see and hear horses during our time here. When we were first checking out the campsite, this was a huge bonus. Horses? Yes, please!
   However at 6am this morning when all the horses started making screaming like noises follow by some huffy breathing. I was less than thrilled. One would do it (the horse right next to us, of course) which would then get another one to go. It was a freaking horse conversation. They would just keep going back and forth. I feel like they could have been more considerate and waited until at least 7am.
   Anyway, that is why I am here, writing this for you, at 6:43 am. I want coffee but do not feel ready to face the brisk air outside. My sleeping bag is so warm.  All the boys are asleep, husband to my left and the littlers on the left, their heads leaning into each other.  It is very cozy.
   Tomorrow, faithful readers, I will attempt to upload a few pictures and blog about our many adventures (some involve baby frogs! Squeal!)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment